At Dhack Institute, our mission is to grow technological interest in students through practical training. We teach kids practical STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) skills like coding, robotics, electronics, and web design. To learn more about why we do this, please read this article.
Our highly anticipated Weekend Tech Club is one of the ways we go about achieving our goal. This program is so popular that parents have been making reservations for their kids since last year!
In a bid to break barriers and also reward creativity, we are running a STEM Contest where one future innovator will get to attend the next session of our Weekend Tech Club for free! That’s a N25,000 giveaway along with invaluable practical skills necessary to succeed in today’s world!
STEM Contest: Summary
- Create a project in Scratch
- Share project link via comment or email
- If selected for 2nd stage, like on Instagram
- Most liked project on Instagram wins.
STEM Contest: Details
The STEM Contest is open to kids between the ages of 8 and 13 years old. To participate, kids must create a project in Scratch around the theme: “STEM and My Country” There are no restrictions on the type of projects kids want to make – stories, videos, animations, games are all welcome.
Tip: We suggest that parents work with their kids to research the topic.
There will be two stages in this STEM Contest:
- Stage 1: Review of projects by an internal panel of judges. Projects will be reviewed based on three factors: Creativity, Complexity, and Completeness. Three (3) projects will be selected for the next stage.
- Stage 2: Posting of selected projects on our Instagram page. The project with the most likes wins.
The timeline of the contest is as follows:
- Monday, January 15, 2018, to Sunday, February 04, 2018: Project Submissions
- Tuesday, February 06, 2018: Stage 1 winners announced
- Wednesday, February 07, 2018: Posting of Stage 1 winners’ projects on our Instagram page
- Sunday, February 11, 2018: Review of likes on projects by internal team
- Monday, February 12, 2018: Winner announced and contacted
Terms and Conditions
- Participants must be between the ages of 8 and 13 years old.
- All participants must submit links (URL) of their projects either as a comment under this article or as an email to email@example.com, by 11:59 PM (WAT), Sunday, February 04, 2018.
- 60-second videos will be created from the projects of Stage 1 winners. These projects will be uploaded to our Instagram page and the most liked project video wins.
- The winner needs to be able to attend next session of Weekend Tech Club, which runs from February 17 to March 24, 2018, every Saturday between 10:00 am and 1:30 pm. The venue is in Yaba, Lagos, Nigeria.
- This contest will be run on the same value of integrity held by our organization. As such, any form of cheating like plagiarism or buying of likes will result in disqualification.